MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MyISAM

Estimating Nearest Time of Day
Posted by: Jeff Sabarese
Date: December 16, 2005 01:48PM

hello. i have a huge time-table in my PHP / MySQL web app which i'm using as part of a "Journey Planner-- but for all intents and purposes, you could just think of it as a time-table-- imagine each field as a minute of the clock (give or take a few specific gaps of course). i need for my user to be able to enter a time of day, and have my database return the nearest match based on the results of a search of its contents.

in other words, if i type in 3:35pm, my database might tell me that i can start my journey at 3:42 when the next bus arrives at my nearest bus-stop location. in detail, it may also need to evaluate times based on preferred arrival at a destination-- but as far as i'm thinking, that shoud be the same PHP script essentially for both origin and destination time estimations-- no?

i hope that all makes sense. try not to get caught up in the whole bus-stop thing-- think of it just as a time-table which needs to show predictions as mentioned above. the bus thing will most likely only make it confusing and probably require way too much explanation if i were to hope you'd be able to comprehend the unusual nature of this particular system.

thanks for your help!!

-- -- -- --
Use CSS [ content:" ?? " ] for Unicode + Control Chars (e.g. newline, etc)... Gain understanding of Codepage, Charset, Encoding, Keymapping... Generate CSS and JavaScript on-the-fly with PHP... Tales from the Communications Dept @ NoviceNotes.Net

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2005 01:53PM by Jeff Sabarese.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Estimating Nearest Time of Day
December 16, 2005 01:48PM
December 18, 2005 10:47AM
December 20, 2005 05:10AM
December 20, 2005 07:08AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.