MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  InnoDB

Re: Larger than expected tmp files querying InnoDB format database
Posted by: Michael Lueck
Date: August 30, 2014 09:36AM

Rick James Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dislike having a separate partition for tmpdir.
> It is often small and will cause queries to
> unnecessarily crash.

Better to run /tmp out of disk space than / in my opinion. With one partition, runaway /tmp could exhaust /.

However, I believe this is the critical point in your response...

> But all of this is moot. Because of the TEXT
> field(s), the tmp table cannot be done in RAM; it
> must be done on disk.

Then I believe that decides it. If I cannot reconfigure MySQL to do all of its processing in RAM, I am stuck.

I am not going through the effort to improve optimization of all of this OSS/FS project's queries. Even if I wanted to, I would first have to become very familiar with their PHP class framework, as there are not queries just laying around in source code to neatly optimize. The PHP classes ultimately generate the SQL statement to be executed. I had to retrieve the SQL query I have been discussing in this thread from the crash log... I found it kindly dumped the offending SQL which ran the server out of disk space.

Thank you so much for your assistance in helping me understand MySQL better. I really appreciate your time and thoroughness. I will reference this thread in the CiviCRM forum, perhaps the developers will take time to consider what we have been discussing.

I am thankful,

Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Larger than expected tmp files querying InnoDB format database
August 30, 2014 09:36AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.