MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: MySQL Server crashes - spawning too many threads.
Posted by: Steve Terpening
Date: August 18, 2005 11:21AM

Erin:
I've followed this thread because I have a similar problem:
I conk out on thread allocation long before I reach max_connections.

I'm trying to cram as many concurrent users as possible thru a webapp into a 4.1.8 MySQL db (quick, small query and drop). The db is on an Apple G5 w/4G RAM and running OS X (a Unix flavor). I've skinnied up the client memory params as much as possible, but I'm still dying at 2500 connections. Following your thread, my kern.maxfiles (the equivalent of your fs.file-max) seems to be set ludicrously low at 12288 - which is exactly what my --open-files-limit resets itself to when I restart the server (regardless of what I put in the param). It's also roughly 5*2500. I'd like to boost kern.maxfiles, but what's a sane number? Where did you come up with 406720? Are there other params I should care about that relate to it (like max-inodes or something)? If I blow up my box by messing with the kernel, I'm toast.

Lastly, I do have 1 client that needs a fair amount of memory for a large table scan/update (30K rows). I don't want to fatten my usual clients for this one guy, but which settings are settable upon connection by the client? Any?

Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated, as we're in production with another huge concurrent volume hit due on Saturday (pro football fans).

TIA,
Steve Terpening
GCGames

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.