MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

Re: Database Upgrade with no disruption
Posted by: Rick James
Date: September 07, 2013 10:24AM

> am I worrying about nothing?

Your concerns are reasonable.

Minor upgrades (5.1.xx to 5.1.yy) can be done in-place with only seconds (or minutes) of downtime.

A major upgrade should be done more like what you describe.

If you already have Master-Slave (or dual-master) set up: Stop the slave; upgrade it to 5.5; start it and let replication catchup; stop writes to the master; again catchup; redirect writes to Slave, which is now the master. There is a short outage for the last couple of steps.

If you don't have a Slave with data, the first step is to get such...

Percona's XtraBackup can take a dump and set up a slave with virtually no downtime (if all InnoDB). But, alas, you are running on Windows.

LVM (or other) snapshotting technology can also do such. Again, alas.

> Now I have to get the rest of the old data

That concept works only for "log"-like data. That is, data where you can easily predict 'old' vs 'new'. It does not work well for UPDATEs, DELETEs, and INSERTs into the 'middle' of 'old' data. It _may_ be possible to invent some ad hoc way to achieve it, but it is rather risky.

Percona's 'online alter' is almost an all-purpose solution; it uses TRIGGERs to keep track of what has come in since you started the table copy. It would take some adapting to make it usable for a dump.

Why do you "have to" upgrade to 5.5? (I agree that it is a good idea.)

5.1.29 is rather old; you could upgrade to the latest 5.1, and actually get _some_ of the fixes/features of 5.5. Such, as I say, can be done "in place".

To everyone out there listening: Don't get caught in Gary's situation; plan ahead. At a minimum, have Master+Slave set up _before_ you have so much data that you can't afford the downtime required to set up the first Slave.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
September 06, 2013 08:55AM
Re: Database Upgrade with no disruption
September 07, 2013 10:24AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.