SOLVED executing INSERT commands with ascii 8216 and 8217 (smart quotes) made using mysqldump
Posted by: Andy Nicastro
Date: April 28, 2012 02:48AM

Hi,

Given:
drop table x;
create table x (fragment text);
INSERT INTO `x` (`fragment`)
VALUES
('‘abc def’\r\n');
That last line is (single quote, i.e. ascii 39 , followed by single left quotation mark, i.e. ascii 8216 , followed by abc def, followed by single right quotation mark, i.e. ascii 8217, followed by \r\n followed by single quote, i.e. ascii 39).

The code works on Server version: 5.1.39 MySQL Community Server (GPL) (my local development server):
Result:
mysql> INSERT INTO `x` (`fragment`)
-> VALUES
-> ('‘abc def’\r\n');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
=================================================

On Server version: 5.0.51a-24+lenny5 (Debian) (a remote test server), it produces an error:
Result:
-> VALUES
-> abc \r\n');def('
ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user 'tobivroegh'@'%' to database 'n');def(''
'>

while on the same server, the same code without the ascii 8216 and 8217 quotes works:
-> VALUES
-> ('abc def\r\n');
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
============================================================

Any ideas of how I can easily work around this problem, a mysql configuration parameter setting or command line switch?

It's about an SQL file made using mysqldump on a live production server. The file contains many INSERT commands that are very long and complex with a lot of text containing ascii 8216 and ascii 8217 characters.

Thanks for your help.
Andynic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2012 06:01AM by Andy Nicastro.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
SOLVED executing INSERT commands with ascii 8216 and 8217 (smart quotes) made using mysqldump
April 28, 2012 02:48AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.