Amazon RDS - Can't connect to MySQL database server?
Posted by: Jake Byman
Date: October 04, 2013 10:27PM

Hello,

So I've been working on this issue for a while now, and I'll explain what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to connect to a MySQL database server, hosted by Amazon Web Services in the Amazon RDS service. The database is up and running, and I've created a security group, as well as an EC2 security group. Within the Ec2 security group, I've opened up port 3306 (the MySQL port), and added it as a rule. I've then applied this rule. I've then connected the security group to the EC2 security group, and I connected the database to the security group. Thus the database should have port 3306 open (and for all I know it does!).

So here's the issue. I'm trying to connect to the MySQL server based on the IP of the database I'm given by Amazon Web Services. However, when I attempt to connect via the Terminal command shell, the connection times out, saying that the MySQL connection failed.

Here's what I type in: "mysql -h ***********.rds.amazonaws.com" where the asterisks are part of the IP address.

The error is as follows: "ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '***********.rds.amazonaws.com' (60)"

I've also tried specifying a username and password to the command, but the same error occurs.

Any thoughts as to why the connection is failing?

Thanks, any help appreciated!

Jake

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Amazon RDS - Can't connect to MySQL database server?
October 04, 2013 10:27PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.