Re: bug with Windows Vista
Posted by: Gert Cuppens
Date: April 12, 2009 03:36AM

I have the same problems and my Java web application worked fine the last time I used it, about one month ago. I have published this application on a Linux server and this application is still fully operational. The best proof that this error is not due to my Java code which is exactly the same on my Vista PC and the Linux server.

I can give you an overview of the things I tested, but until now, I don't have any result. But maybe, some things can work out for you.
1) I checked out whether the MySQL server was operational on Vista. This was the case and I could start the MySQL Server administration tool. This tool mentioned port 3306 as the port on which the server is listening for communications with the MySQL database.
2) I checked out whether the Java Archives containing the JDBC driver were available, but since I did not change anything the last months, this was OK.
3) I have a licence of MyEclipse and this provides the possibility of using a database eplorer, standard with Apache Derby. I built a new connection for MySQL but I got the same error. Since this connection is made with a wizard without a single letter of hand written Java code, this proves again that the error is not in the Java code. Too bad, because I would have preferred this.
4) I looked at my 2 firewalls (Windows and McAfee) and I even shut them down and tested again. One of the possible causes preventing communication with the MySQL database is the use of a firewall. I added port 3306 to the Windows firewall but no success. I added port 3306 to McAfee, but yet no success.
5) I used the command telnet localhost 3306 in a Windows command prompt but this gave me the same error as with the Java code and the MyEclipse database explorer : no connection possible.
I used the command netstat -na to look at the different ports and port 3306 had a listener.
6) I looked at the file my.ini and port 3306 was defined as the port for MySQL.

Until now, I lost a lot of hours and still no success. But I found a message on a forum from Shaitan00, who mentions he has uninstalled and reinstalled the MySQL database. I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I give myself about 2 hours to look at this forum for possible solutions, but if not, I will do the same thing as shaitan00. I only hope the installation on Vista will be much easier than the last time, because I even needed the installation of ResHacker to get MySQL active.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
April 04, 2009 04:20PM
Re: bug with Windows Vista
April 12, 2009 03:36AM
April 12, 2009 04:23AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.