MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Sybase

Re: How to migrate Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Replication
Posted by: john danilson
Date: September 19, 2006 07:36PM

I'm an old sybase dba with 10+ years experience. The ability to define a complex replication environment is severly limited in mysql. The single most limiting fact is: a slave host can have one, and only one master. Think about that for a moment, coming from the sybase/oracle/db2 environment and you immediatly realize the limitations this imposes.

Having said the negative, the positive is that mysql replication is totally simple to set up and is very fast and has worked well for me. Setting up a simple two host bi-directional replication in mysql is a piece of cake. It's well described elsewhere in the doc so I won't repeat it here.

Building multiple slave is somethign that we are doing for performance, not resiliancy. This might help your case but I don't know your topology so can't comment. But, if you sit down with your current topology, map it out in mysql keeping the single master limitation in mind what you will end up with are many more servers (run several on one box is necessary) and some convoluted paths to get data from server a to b to c to d. Good luck. If you find out any tricks let me know.

fwiw, I'm also stumped on how to get transactions delivered to two databases simultaneously on the same slave.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: How to migrate Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Replication
September 19, 2006 07:36PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.