MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

Re: Auto_Increment Fields in Access/mySQL linked tables won't AutoNumber
Posted by: mdelorme10
Date: November 10, 2004 01:07PM

I saw your post when I came across a similar problem last night. I found out what was wrong on my end. I'm a bit of a hack when it comes to programming, so I hope this explanation makes sense.

Basically, when I switched from Access's db engine to mySQL 4.1, I didn't configure it with transactional capabilities. There is something consistently wrong with the mySQL installation and I can't configure that setting. There was some VB code that required this setting, and it was hanging the whole system. There was error checking built into the app, so it wouldn't crash catastrophically, it would just refuse to autoincrement which interfered with links needed for the app to proceed. Incidentally, the fields show in Access as number fields, but act as autonumber, as mySQL is handling the autoincrement.

I just started stepping through the code where it was grabbing Autonumbers from mySQL and watched for where it jumped to error handling. I then looked at what procedure it was calling, and saw that it needed transactional capabilities. In my case, it turned out that it was just a function to check to make sure a set of procedures had been followed (not crucial to the function of the app, and I'm just testing it at this stage anyway), so I've just disabled those calls until I get mySQL sorted out.

I hope this is of some use to you; if not, good luck.

Matt

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Auto_Increment Fields in Access/mySQL linked tables won't AutoNumber
November 10, 2004 01:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.