MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Need to change my.cnf
Posted by: n jelly
Date: August 22, 2007 06:43PM

No I can not vi into the /etc/my.cnf.
When I do even a 'find' /etc/my.cnf it gives me an error of SECRET permissions denied.
I guess what I am asking is if I should be able to edit my.cnf?
I am new to unix shell and writing to the shell. I am able to vi in other folders like the data directory and it works fine but MySQl does not use the right my.cnf. Meaning doesn't MySQl look first in etc/my.cnf and then override the options that it finds in the mysql/datadir/my.cnf folder?
I also tried to cp into the /etc folder after changing the my-large.cnf file that exists in the support-files folder but it wouldn't let me.
Another question: does cp'ing it replace the /etc/my.cnf file when you do that and if so, there are fewer options listed in the my-large.cnf vs the /etc/my.cnf file. What happens to all the other options? Are they just set to default? For example should i set all the options I want to change in the my-large and rename it to the my.cnf?
Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
August 22, 2007 12:30PM
August 22, 2007 12:39PM
Re: Need to change my.cnf
August 22, 2007 06:43PM
August 22, 2007 08:38PM
August 23, 2007 06:25AM
August 23, 2007 08:55AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.