MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Dependent Insert
Posted by: Gavin Greenwalt
Date: July 28, 2008 11:00PM

Ok I'm way in over my SQL syntax head and need a wee bit of help.

I have 3 tables like the following:

Table1 with columns (T1GUID, GenusName)
Table2 with columns (T2GUID, T1GUID (FK), FamilyName)
Table3 with columsn (T3GUID, T2GUID (FK), SpeciesName)

I have a bunch of Species (2700), Quite a few Families (2000--pretty much one species per family) and quite a few Genuses (say maybe 1000).

Now I want to insert a few thousand more grandchildren which know the GenusName and FamilyName they belong to without creating duplicate Genus and Family entries? Worse still a significant majority of Family names are not unique. Let's just say hypothetically you have an entry for:

"RC Airplane" (Species) which it knows is a member of "Vehicles" (Family) and the (Genus) "Objects"

If there is no "Objects" I want to create it if not I want to retrieve its GUID and then either way feed its GUID into the FK column of... "Vehicles" if there is no entry "Vehicles" I want to create it if it does exist get its GUID and feed it finally in the FK slot of "RC Airplane"

I have a huge LEFT JOIN query command which brings all the data back together for a given species (working backwards up the foodchain) but I don't know how to do the opposite--Insert the data back into the schema. I would like to do it in a single SQL command if at all possible.

I found the INSERT IGNORE which works great for the Genus (set a unique key on the GenusName and the problem is solved). The real problem is the Family which can't be a unique name and is dependent on a Genus which just may or may not have been created (I'm assuming the last key updated function doesn't work if IGNORE is called)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Dependent Insert
July 28, 2008 11:00PM
July 29, 2008 06:46AM
July 29, 2008 08:19AM
July 29, 2008 10:52AM
July 29, 2008 11:22AM
July 29, 2008 11:42AM
July 29, 2008 02:07PM
July 29, 2008 05:02PM
July 30, 2008 06:57AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.