MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Opinions on this schema please =)
Posted by: Willem vanSchevikhoven
Date: February 23, 2009 04:27PM

Well,

I've pretty much decided what i can use to narrow down the initial rows and still maintain a decent level of multi-categorization (what a hard word).

Articles will have a article_type -column. The type can be "Brakedisc, Grooved", "Brakedisc, Drilled", and in theory but not in practice just a "Brakedisc".
This article_type corresponds to one node in the hierarcy. The type corresponds to one node in a nested set model, obviously because this is hierarchial there i no need to type in all the different part types.

Categories will have initial "category-strings" that are not visible to the customers, lets

Now, when i make categories like "Engine Parts" and "Powertrain parts", i can assign a clutch and a flywheel to both categories by just putting CLUTCH and FLYWHEEL on both "category-strings"
Why do i need to do this? Because this is one classical example where 50% of the people think that the clutch is an engine part and 50% think it's a drivetrain parts. In reality, it's just the part that connects those two.

I think this might be a pretty good candidate, and im pretty inclined to start using it already since this database schema has been taking quite a lot of time. Also, it's a "normal" way of doing things and is easy to grasp.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.