MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: How do I delete all but most recent record?
Posted by: Felix Geerinckx
Date: July 28, 2005 05:34AM

dump3 wrote:

> However, I'm now a bit CONFUSED on the syntax and what would be the best way to select out
> just the lastest (running_time) unique records where there
> is a distinct member_name AND ip_address field in the record.
>
> I'm clear on deleting the tables, can someone help with queries that would select out the only the
> latest based on running_time and copy to each the tables? I'll have log_table and log_table_hold
> as the empty temporary table. Each table will have the following fields:
>
> member_name
> member_id
> ip_address
> running_time
> session_id
> member_group
>
> The main thing is, we want to keep the latest log of where there is a unique member_name and
> ip_address pair.

The problem lies in the fact that you want to include the member_id, session_id and member_group into your temporary result, but only want to look at unique member_name and ip_address combinations. I can imagine that member_name and member_group are uniquely determined by member_id, so those are not the problem, but what about session_id?

If you do

SELECT
member_name,
member_id,
ip_address,
max(running_time) as running_time,
session_id,
member_group
FROM log_table
GROUP BY member_name, member_id, member_group, ip_address

you will (probably) get a wrong session_id (unless it also uniquely depends on one of a combination of the columns in the GROUP BY).
See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/group-by-hidden-fields.html

You can solve this as explained here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/example-maximum-column-group-row.html

but this will add complexity to you query, probably leading to performance issues.

If you don't care about the session_id, dumping the above select in your log_table_hold should be a matter of a few seconds with:

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE log_table_hold;
SELECT
member_name,
member_id,
ip_address,
max(running_time) as running_time,
session_id,
member_group
FROM log_table
GROUP BY member_name, member_id, member_group, ip_address;

TRUNCATE log_table;
INSERT INTO log_table SELECT * FROM log_table_hold;
DROP TABLE log_table_hold;

--
felix
Please use BBCode to format your messages in this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: How do I delete all but most recent record?
July 28, 2005 05:34AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.