MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Designing my database, have a few questions
Posted by: Marc M
Date: July 27, 2005 04:45PM

Ok, I've been studying database design for my php application, and I think it's starting to take shape. However, I'm taking my sweet time to design it right, because I don't want to have problems later. I want a very solid foundation.

My main table is my products table, or catalog. It consists of:

---------
product_id : int(11) not null - auto - primary
vendor_id : int(11) not null - default 01
product_type_id : int(11) not null
category1_id : int(11) not null
category2_id : int(11)
product_files_id : int(11)
product_images_id: int(11)
product_name : char(32)
product_price : float (11,2)
product_active : tinyint(1)
keywords :
short_description :
long_description :
date_added : datetime -
date_modified : datetime -
----------

ok, so now some questions.
1. Would it be wise to put keywords, short and long description in it's own table?
2. I've already got 7 id fields. Is there any logical limit to this approach, or am I ok with it?
3. product type is like a master category. The categories available to a product will vary depending upon the product type. Right now I have that in it's own table. But with categories, I think it would make sense to put them all in one table. There would be a field to designate parent cats and perhaps product type. I want to be able to assign two categories to a product. So, can category1_id and category2_id both refer to a single category table?
4. for price, should I use decimal or float here?
5. Finally, I've seen different approaches to using char and varchar for fields such as name. I've read that char is faster, but takes up a little more space. Is the trade off worth it?

Thanks for any insight or advice you might have regarding this. It's greatly appreciated.

-marc

------------------------
Inner space - what a trip.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Designing my database, have a few questions
July 27, 2005 04:45PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.