MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Long Login from remote client
Posted by: John
Date: August 07, 2005 07:01PM

I have a MySql server on a Windows XP pro machine running a 1.8GHz P4 processor. When I log onto the server from another computer it takes about 18 seconds to login and process the first query. An Ethereal snoop shows that the 18 seconds occurs before the server even asks for the user and password. There is no intervening network traffic, just a delay in the response of the server. I have tried this on three other computers and the differences in time to login seem to reflect the computer speed. During this long login a show processlist command from a separate user shows a processlist formed but it lists the user as "unauthenticated user" in state: "login" until the 18 seconds are past.

I ran into this because I am using MySQL with a MSAccess front end. Microsoft has a rather hidden timeout( "ConnectionTimeout" see below) that sends a quit command after 10 minutes to MySQL through MyODBC. Then the next call to the server requires this long 18 second delay to login again. I think I have solved the problem by setting the ConnectionTimeout to 6 hours but I am still mystified by why the server would have so long a delay for a remote login when a local login is quite fast. Especially since the delay happens before the user and password are even sent to the server.

By the way this delay happens for both the command line mysql and accessing through MyODBC but it doesn't happen when accessing the MySQL server on the same computer.

In case someone else has a similar problem here is the location of the ConnectionTimeout in the registry. As far as I can tell it has to be changed by RegEdit.
MyComputer\HDEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\ODBC\ConnectionTimeout

If anyone has any insight into both the delay and the timeout I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Long Login from remote client
August 07, 2005 07:01PM
August 07, 2005 08:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.