MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Using ORDER BY and GROUP BY together
Posted by: Felix Geerinckx
Date: August 10, 2005 09:26AM

Graham Roberts wrote:

> Heres my situation: I have a table with a few hundred thousand records in it. You could think of
> it like stock market data, for each stock there are records of it price taken every 20 minutes
> throughout the day.
>
> What I need to do is pull out a report for each stock with the best price data.
>
> So I am grouping on stockID. But with using the GROUP BY on its own I can't actually access the
> rest of the fields for this records, only stockID and any aggregates. Specifying any other columns
> would simply give me arbitrary values based on one record from within this group.
>
> ...
> But the ORDER BY doesn't actually seem to be doing this, does MySQL have a problem using
> ORDER BY and GROUP BY in the same query?

No. ORDER BY is always done after GROUP BY - not only in MySQL

> As a work around I am thinking of using a temporary table which will be sorted on price,
> then running my GROUP BY query on this temp table.

That's one way. See http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/example-maximum-column-group-row.html

--
felix
Please use BBCode to format your messages in this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Using ORDER BY and GROUP BY together
August 10, 2005 09:26AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.