MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Newbie - Synchronisation possible?
Posted by: Jan Verkest
Date: August 20, 2005 08:33PM

Hello

Because php//mysql is quite new for me, I have some trouble finding out the right way to setup replication of mysql dbases.

People told me that I can use for example phpmyadmin to upload my local mysql dbase to the server. First, I have to do an export of the database on my local pc. After that, I can use this file to run the statements in it on the server.

Is this the right way to update / synchronise the database between the one on my local pc and the server of the ISP?

I can understand that this would work when no database exists on the server. But what happens when the database on the server exists and the mysql database on my local pc has new and deleted records? When I export this and run the statements on the server. Will this also delete the records which have been deleted on my local dbase? Or will they still exist and will only the new records be added?

I really have no clue. What's the right way to sync the local mysql dbase with the remote one? Is there a procedure to replicate not only the records (new / updated / delted) but the database structure (for example when new tables have been added) as well? Is there a way to setup an exact replication between the local & remote mysql databases?

And to make it even more complicated for me ;-) What's the best practice to sync in both directions? For example get the new data from the server database to the local database and upload newly created tables (local) to the server?

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Newbie - Synchronisation possible?
August 20, 2005 08:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.