MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: problem selecting from one table where not in another
Posted by: Israel Iglesias
Date: January 25, 2012 02:31AM

Good morning, the transfer list table should be a bit different as it needs to store the real player id as well as the user player id, but I think for this case is good as it is. Also the user_player and transfer_list tables need to store the league id.

Now I would need to select a new player from the player table that is not on user_player nor transfer_list for a given league. This I have tried with left join and also with NOT IN ( [list of ids] ), but in both cases it did not work as it would sometimes select a player that was in the NOT IN list.

Let me rewrite my query using the english names so perhaps you can see more clear what I'm doing wrong:

[code]
SELECT player.*
FROM player
LEFT JOIN
user_player AS up
ON
player.player_id=up.player_id
AND
up.league_id='30166e'
LEFT JOIN
transfer_list AS tl
ON
player.player_id=tl.player_id
AND
tl.league_id='30166e'
WHERE
player.level='1'
AND
up.player_id IS NULL
AND
tl.player_id IS NULL
ORDER BY RAND()
LIMIT 1
[/code]

As you can see the left joins match players for the given player_id AND league_id and should only return 1 player that is not in either one of the tables. Like I said, I also tried the following query:

[code]
SELECT * FROM player p WHERE p.level='1' AND p.player_id NOT IN (1, 2, 3,...) ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 0,1
[/code]

only thing is the NOT IN sometimes would hold about 200 ids.

Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: problem selecting from one table where not in another
January 25, 2012 02:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.