MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Rewrite Full Outer Join into Subquery
Posted by: Richard House
Date: October 14, 2014 11:13AM

Peter, your solution worked. Thanks a lot!

I had to spin it a bit because the left join..union..right join statement did not work like I expected. It returned datasets for both the Actuals and Projections, I could select on both the OrderDate and the BudgetDate but I could not select both the Actuals and the Projections together on DimDate which is really what I wanted/needed.
I wish I could understand why it did not work, as it looks good to me. But I end up using the following(temp = S_sub_tot_sales):

FROM  `dim_dates` dim_dates LEFT OUTER JOIN `S_projections` S_projections ON dim_dates.`date` = S_projections.`BudgetDate`
     INNER JOIN `S_sub_tot_sales` S_sub_tot_sales ON dim_dates.`date` = S_sub_tot_sales.`OrdersDate` 
UNION 
FROM
     `dim_dates` dim_dates INNER JOIN `S_projections` S_projections ON dim_dates.`date` = S_projections.`BudgetDate`
     LEFT OUTER JOIN `S_sub_tot_sales` S_sub_tot_sales ON dim_dates.`date` = S_sub_tot_sales.`OrdersDate`

The only caveat to this is that the temp table S_sub_tot_sales has to be updated. Thats not really a problem (just another table to cron) but it defeats real-time reporting, charting etc.

So I'm wondering if it is possible to pull the data from the original tables with join..union..join(without creating a temp table) or with a subquery? Thanks.

Regards,
ricky-rich

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Rewrite Full Outer Join into Subquery
October 14, 2014 11:13AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.