`data` varchar(13) NOT NULL default '',
`name` varchar(25) NOT NULL default '',
`descr` varchar(25) NOT NULL default '',
`version_tag` tinyint(3) NOT NULL default '0',
PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
KEY `PUI` (`PUI`)
) TYPE=MyISAM

Consider the following data:

INSERT INTO test(data, name, descr, version_tag) VALUES('001', 'Command 1', 'huhu', 1);
INSERT INTO test(data, name, descr, version_tag) VALUES('002', 'Command 2', 'hehe', 1);
INSERT INTO test(data, name, descr, version_tag) VALUES('003', 'Command 3', 'haha', 1);
INSERT INTO test(data, name, descr, version_tag) VALUES('001', 'Command 1', 'huhuhu', 2);
INSERT INTO test(data, name, descr, version_tag) VALUES('001', 'Command 1', 'DELETED', 3);

Basically, I need to find a way to SELECT the latest Command version for every existing command. Different commands are identified by the value in the data column, and the latest version is the highest number in the version_tag column.

To retrieve the set of commands as of version #2, I have been trying the following command:

SELECT * FROM test WHERE tag <= 2 GROUP BY data ORDER BY tag DESC

but I end up with the rows with ID 2, 3 and 1 instead of the expected: 2, 3 and 4.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Need help with a Group By clause
January 06, 2006 02:40PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.