MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

A Database within a Database?
Posted by: Mike Allen
Date: June 01, 2015 07:35PM

HI guys,

Very much a n00b and looking to learn a little bit about MySQL. The goal is to get rid of Excel for data entry.

I want to create a Cable Schedule and ITP, which is a kind of checklist for equipment to be installed on a construction site. Needs to simple and easier to use than Excel.

I have come across a hurdle I am not sure how to overcome just yet.

Lets say I have the following main tables
- Job (Job details including site address, etc)
- Equipment (Details on equipment to be installed)
- Connect (IP addresses and login details)

There are many more but these are the key tables.

The 'Jobs' table will always grow and will be unique lines. This table will not need to be shared anywhere other than the current job. The 'Equipment' will grow much slower as most equipment on it will be shared and re-used between jobs. Its not an inventory item, just device info such as how many inputs and outputs the device has.

The 'Connect' Table is where I am having trouble. It has IP addresses and I want the DB to check for duplicate addresses. So if this table is shared across jobs, soon enough, duplicates will be found but this is to be expected as you wouldnt expect every job to have unique IP ranges.

Also, even if duplicates were not a problem, this table would grow very quickly as each job might have 200 IP devices. After a hundred jobs the table will get huge. And because every job would reference the same table every time, things would slow down.

Is there are way for me to link a new table to each 'Job' table row? So when I am looking at info under that job, its only looking at the much smaller 'Connect table (with its own Duplicate protection) associated with that job, and no other jobs?

Also, the 'Connect' tables still need to reference the Equipment table which is shared throughout the Database.

Is this possible?

Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
A Database within a Database?
June 01, 2015 07:35PM
June 01, 2015 07:52PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.