MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Access Management - User/Pass specific to DB, not server?
Posted by: Sam Mangham
Date: December 09, 2016 05:45AM

I'm writing scientific software that outputs a large number of records to file, and want to switch to handling the output in SQL so it's easy to search and sort with some Python analysis code. I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding the way DB access is managed for user accounts, though.

What I want is to be able to programatically create databases with an arbitrary name, and have my analysis code access them without needing a user/password or with a fixed username/password specified when I create the DB. I'm not entirely sure how I'd achieve this, as from what I can tell database permissions are done on a user-account basis, rather than set by the database itself. This is awkward as I don't want to have to keep making alterations to the user accounts whenever I create a new DB, or run on a new machine, and it'd make distributing the software to collaborators a lot harder.

Is there any way to specify when you create a DB that it shouldn't require a password, or that it should accept connections from *any* user account. In addition, is there a default passwordless MySQL user account with no database permissions that I can connect as in my analysis code without needing the user to set it up?

(I did try using SQLite for this where all of these things were non-issues, but was advised MySQL had much better performance on the ~200gb files I'd be using)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Access Management - User/Pass specific to DB, not server?
December 09, 2016 05:45AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.