MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Perform UPDATE on rows from a SELECT
Posted by: Rick Macdonald
Date: January 29, 2017 10:15PM

I've searched for hours but I can't get this to work. I have a SELECT that works but can't get the syntax right to feed it to UPDATE.

The following SELECT does work and gives me the rows that I want to UPDATE:

SELECT ALL path.idPath, path.strPath, files.strFileName, files.playCount, files.lastPlayed
FROM path INNER JOIN files ON path.idPath = files.idPath
WHERE files.playCount IS NULL AND path.strPath LIKE 'smb%_ARCHIVE_%' AND files.strFileName <> ""

For these rows, I want to:

SET files.playCount = 1, files.lastPlayed = '2017-01-29 12:00:00'

but I can't figure out how to combine them. This DOES NOT work:

UPDATE files, path INNER JOIN files ON path.idPath = files.idPath
SET files.playCount = 1, files.lastPlayed = '2017-01-29 12:00:00'
SELECT ALL path.idPath, path.strPath, files.strFileName, files.playCount, files.lastPlayed
WHERE files.playCount IS NULL AND path.strPath LIKE 'smb%_ARCHIVE_%' AND files.strFileName <> ""

I'm guessing it's an easy answer without understanding the tables, but a bit of detail just in case:

I want to update playCount and lastPlayed in the files table if playCount IS NULL. This table holds a foreign key (idPath) to the path table, where I make a selection based on the strings in a couple of fields there.

The SELECT above returns the correct rows. I just can't figure out how to feed these rows to the UPDATE.

I am selecting more fields than I need to update, but that's just so I can tell the SELECT is working properly when run alone. I hope this isn't a problem for the combined UPDATE?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Perform UPDATE on rows from a SELECT
January 29, 2017 10:15PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.