MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Mixed Case Substring
Posted by: Jennifer Ford
Date: June 03, 2019 09:24AM

Hi,
I have to search for content that is within a single field. My IT folks gave me two versions. The first is for when the substring is listed more than once and I need the value associated with a specific response (or if the field is "1 long line of content").

1. SUBSTRING_INDEX(SUBSTRING_INDEX(SUBSTRING_INDEX(SUBSTRING_INDEX(bq.request_data, -- field name to search in
'[CompanyName]',-1), -- a unique label before your item
'[MailingAddress]',1), -- what is directly following your item
'[EsiId] => ',-1),'\n',1 -- what is directly before your item
) as 'EsiId',

2. SUBSTRING_INDEX(IF(LOCATE('[EsiId] =>',bq.request_data)=0,'NA',SUBSTRING_INDEX(bq.request_data,'[EsiId] =>',-1)),'\n',1) AS 'Request EsiId',

The trouble is that this same IT team keeps changing up how they enter the substring - sometimes it is "ESIID" sometimes "EsiID" sometimes "essiid", etc.

I don't want to have to enter a substring_index line for each variation of the upper/lower case of the string I am looking for, and then figure out a way to merge all the good results only to a single field.

How can I search for "any version of XXXXX" (in this case any version of esiid) in one line by inserting something into each of the examples above?

I am also curious if you know how to modify the first option to include a "if you don't find it, give me xxx" response like the 2nd version has. I know it can be done but I have lost my samples that included it.

Thanks!
JFo

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Mixed Case Substring
June 03, 2019 09:24AM
June 03, 2019 09:39AM
June 03, 2019 10:05AM
June 03, 2019 10:52AM
June 03, 2019 10:07AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.