MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Moving average query taking too long to run
Posted by: sowa furan
Date: January 20, 2020 10:51PM

Hello,

I'm not the thread creator but I used your solution for the same purpose and I would like to thank you.
I have a question though, using the same query structure on a table with ~50,000 rows, the query takes around 2 seconds.
Here's my query, which is the same as your solution but with my own columns name :

SELECT a.datasourcepriceobservationid,a.sampletime, a.securitymetadataid,
ROUND(avg(b.closeprice),2) AS sma5
FROM datasourcepriceobservation AS a
JOIN datasourcepriceobservation AS b USING(securitymetadataid)
WHERE b.datasourcepriceobservationid BETWEEN a.datasourcepriceobservationid-4 AND a.datasourcepriceobservationid
AND a.datasourcepriceobservationid >= 5
GROUP BY a.sampletime, a.datasourcepriceobservationid
ORDER BY a.securitymetadataid, a.datasourcepriceobservationid;

But if I tried to create an index as you suggest at the end of your post, the query takes 125 seconds.
If I create only 1 covering index or both covering indexes in the same order as your post, it takes around 125 seconds. If I create only 1 index on 1 column (securitymetadataid), it takes 25 seconds.

My problem is I would like to use this query on a table with around 2 millions rows, and this takes more than 30 minutes.
Why having the index takes more time than without ?

Originally, on datapriceobservation table, there is no index except the primary key 'datasourcepriceobservationid' where each row is unique.

Thamk you very much for your assistance.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Moving average query taking too long to run
January 20, 2020 10:51PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.