MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Root access remote, similar
Posted by: Matt Pierce
Date: December 16, 2019 01:25PM

Hello,

So I have been working on a project to create a clustered OpenVPN setup. I am having a plethora of issues setting this up.

My first issue is that OpenVPN wants to login to the MySQL server with 'root'@'clientIP' and no matter what I do that will never change. I have modified the my.cnf files and verified that the MySQL client is using the file, which it is. However, my connection errors still say I am using root. I am using Ubuntu on the OpenVPN client and Debian for the MySQL server. I have given up on this. I wanted to use another account, but oh well. There is also the issue that I cannot grant another user the same level of access over the server as root. I can find a bunch of examples of how to create users and give them access to a database, but not the entire server.

So now I just want to allow the root account to access the server remotely from one subnet. I can at least limit it to one subnet and keep somewhat safe. I have tried googling this and found several examples of allowing the root user access, but none of them work. Most result in syntax errors. It would seem that the syntax for this changes quite a bit with new releases?

Does anyone know the exact syntax to allow the root user to access the MySQL server from another computer on the same LAN using version 8.0.18. I cannot find this in the reference documentation either. Perhaps I am blind. Really appreciate any help.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Root access remote, similar
December 16, 2019 01:25PM
December 16, 2019 02:26PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.