MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Shed Database - is this possible?
Posted by: David Maher
Date: June 26, 2022 04:29PM

Hi, many years ago, we had a parts database at work. It was a basic thing, written in DB2 by one of the technicians. The database was used to find and if necessary, order, new photocopier parts.
It was Dos based, and presented a form where you could enter a part number, or description of a part, and it would return the location of the part (say AA1-2), how many parts were in stock etc.
This databased was maintained manually and you knew it was time to order more when the quantity got down below whatever you thought was not enough.
This system, although based on the user's understanding and maintaining of the database, was easy to use.
I would like to create something similar for my personal shed contents. I have had a car accident, a result of which is a memory like a sieve - I can't find things, and I often buy what I've already got, only to find one just after the new one arrives.
With the system I envisage you could type in something like "bolt 1/4" 2" long " and the system would return Location "A1" Drawer "3" Partition "2" Qty "3".
Is Mysql the best database system for this and is there a tutorial regarding how to go about building the database?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Shed Database - is this possible?
June 26, 2022 04:29PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.