MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Part Number Generation in MySQL
Posted by: Ian Lance
Date: April 03, 2023 12:26PM

Hi, I'm trying to make a Part Number (PN) generator for my company using MySQL.

Originally, I made this tool in Excel. It works great, but it's starting to slow down hard from the significant amount of data being processed.
I believe that a MySQL database will be a safer and more efficient way of generating and storing this information.

Now that that's out of the way, let me explain the components and intended result.

Table 1: Compounds

Table 1 defines the material that our product is made from. Example compound code: KP75

Table 2: Sizes

Table 2 defines the size code for the product. Example size code: -2x5

Table 3: Part Numbers

We technically have two PNs: Semi-numeric code ("computer PN") and a Customer Facing code ("actual PN")

Example Computer PN: AS1000034
Example Actual PN: KP75-2X5

Currently, Table 1 and Table 2 are finished, I'm just trying to figure out how to approach Table 3. I'm thinking about using a view, but I'm not sure if that makes sense considering how necessary it is for both the Computer PN and Actual PN to remain constant.

Additional Notes:

- The Computer PN is incremental.
- There are currently around 130 compounds and 2500 different sizes. That would mean that, ideally, when I add a new material to Table 1, 2500 new PNs would automatically be created in Table 3.

Sorry if any of this is a bit unclear - I'm still very new to MySQL.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Part Number Generation in MySQL
April 03, 2023 12:26PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.