MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Learning the hard way
Posted by: Nick Roper
Date: August 14, 2004 07:42AM

Chuck OK, here are some recommendations, although I'm sure other folks will have some ideas:

1) PHP and MySQL Web Development: Welling/Thomas ISBN0-672-32525-X

Has a reasonable section on database schema design, but not that extensive.

2) Database Systems: Catherine Ricardo

Excellent book - unfortunately the ISBN # shown on the copy I've had for 15 years doesn't bring up ant results, but searching for Catherine Ricardo on amazon shows some more recent issues:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/ref=s_sf_b_as/103-0082326-5928601

Finally, and the folks at MySQL aren't going to like me for this:

3) Informix-SQL - Tony Lacy-Thompson

Again, I've had this book for about 14 years. OK, it deals with Informix SQL, but the chapter on database design principles is worth the price alone. I worked with Tony on a couple of projects and, not only was he a real database guru - but a thoroughly nice guy as well. Once again it looks like it's out of print, but there are 2nd-hand copies going on amazon from $9.99 - worth every penny (cent) !

I've actually got two in mint condition, as I used to give them to delegates on training courses, but they ain't going anywhere ;-)

Hope this helps.

Nick

--
Nick Roper

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
August 13, 2004 09:43PM
August 14, 2004 01:26AM
Re: Learning the hard way
August 14, 2004 07:42AM
August 16, 2004 06:39PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.