charset mismash: UTF stored in cp1250 table
Posted by: Josef Vosyka
Date: February 08, 2006 05:40PM

I use PHP based CMS system called Drupal. This system uses UTF-8 as charset for storing texts.

My first ISP let me use only phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl1. These are the charset settings:
character_set_client utf8
character_set_connection utf8
character_set_database cp1250
character_set_results utf8
character_set_server cp1250
character_set_system utf8

With these settings, everything works fine, even though Drupal inserts UTF-8 encoded text into cp1250 tables/columns.

Now the problematic part, I need to migrate to different ISP who also let me use only phpMyAdmin 2.6.0-pl3. This ISP has the following settings:
character_set_client utf8
character_set_connection utf8
character_set_database latin2
character_set_results utf8
character_set_server latin2
character_set_system utf8

Did you notice that the first ISP uses cp1250 while the second one use latin2?

Now, when I make the export from the first ISP and import to the second one, then my czech characters are totaly incorect.

Finaly the QUESTION: where is the problem? The fist ISP has tables in cp1250 while the second one in latin2. The data in both tables are writen and read back as UTF-8 (Drupal feature).
1) what happens when you store UTF-8 encoded string in cp1250 table?
2) what happens when you export such table using 'character_set_results = utf8' and 'character_set_client utf8' via phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl1?
3) what happens when you import this file into latin2 table using 'character_set_results = utf8' and 'character_set_client utf8' via phpMyAdmin 2.6.0-pl3 (file encoding set to utf-8).

Shall I use different scenario?
Shall I try to convert the original table from cp1250 to latin2 and then try to migrate?

I've tried it all, but somehow badly, it does not work!
PLEASE HELP!

--Josef

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
charset mismash: UTF stored in cp1250 table
February 08, 2006 05:40PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.