Moving from MySQL4.0 to MySQL5: problems with Greek Characters
Posted by: Spyros Spyropoulos
Date: March 13, 2006 12:13PM

Greetings.

I am facing the following problem, which seems to be to dump to be true(!?)

I have a MySQL 4.0 Database installation on our server (which runs a CRM/ERP application which I am developing for a client). I installed the server more than a year ago, and the primary language is Greek;
Now I want to upgrade to MySQL5 or, atleast, to MySQL 4.1. But here starts the problem:
All my tables use the latin1 charset. When I create a dump of the database and try to import it to the new server (using MySQL 5) all greek characters are screwed up; I have tryed many ways to import the dump to the new server, with no succes, as all greek characters are replaced either with ?????? characters or other funny ones (yes, I have used the latin1 charset for the new tables/fields).

The only way that kinda worked was by moving the whole database (MYD, MYI and frm) files to the new server; the application now works, but another problem occured: any backups created are, again, screwed up. so although the system works, I cant create any backups.
since I want to use the InnoDB storage engine from now on, moving the database files in the future for backups is not an option (i believe innodb databases cant be just 'moved' arround).

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

-------
This is an update:
When using MySQL administrator to create the backup, the import works ok the first time, although the charachers in the backup file look more like chinese.
However, when I now create a backup file from the new database using MySQL administrator, I cant import it, as I get sql syndax errors.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2006 12:34PM by Spyros Spyropoulos.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Moving from MySQL4.0 to MySQL5: problems with Greek Characters
March 13, 2006 12:13PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.