Changing Character Sets (unknown to utf8)
Posted by: Steven Taylor
Date: April 30, 2007 10:25PM

I use Realbasic as my programming language (client) in the Windows XP environment.

Okay, here's my problem. I've written a program whereby blogs are converted from Wordpress to Drupal (basically copying one database to another). I'm now encountering heaps of problems relating to character encodings.

The source database (Wordpress) can be in any number of different encodings. Looking at the metadata (from numerous sql backup's that users have sent me) it appears the character set is set at the Table level, usually 'latin1'.

What I want to do is convert the source database to utf8, completely, prior to the actual transferring of records into the target database. The target database will always be utf8.

In the process of converting the source database to utf8 I want any column level character sets also converted, if they are specifically so defined.

I've read section 10 umpteen times regarding character encodings and now I'm a little confused. Is there a simple instruction that will convert all columns of all tables to utf8 or must I issue the "ALTER TABLE t MODIFY c ..." for each and every text/char column. If doing that is it then wise to convert to BINARY first and then to utf8 second. Is there a way to establish what the character encoding is at the column level.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve Taylor
Melbourne, Australia.

Steve
http://prime357.org

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Changing Character Sets (unknown to utf8)
April 30, 2007 10:25PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.