Re: Migration Toolkit and DROP command
Posted by: Bruce Maston
Date: November 28, 2010 10:38PM

I will return to this thread with a more complete answer if I ever solve the problem. What I am trying to do is migrate my MSSQL db from hoster #1 (that also hosts MsSQL) to hoster #2 that only supports MsSQL.
1. I first tried to do it by direct migration and got the reply I noted in the original post.
2. I then tried to migrate the db from MSSQL "internally" into MySQL on hoster #1. Again, I was told that the hoster will not allow this. (They refused to provide a name for the target MySQL server).
3. I have now installed MySQL, PHP, and Apache on my desktop, and I've been able to migrate from hoster #1 to my machine.

Once I resolve the syntax problems, I will ftp a backup copy of the MsSQL db to hoster #2 who claim they will install it for me on their server.

My db returns data entirely through stored procedures run on the server, and I presume that this will be allowed. However, the reason I've gone entirely to stored procedures is that hosters, in general, will no longer allow privileges for the type of searches I once used such as ADO or me.textbox.recordsource = SQL string.

I assume that many users of the migration toolkit are sophisticated IT people working on company servers, etc. But for the little guys like me using hosters such as WebHost4Life, JustHost, EasyCGI, etc. it is a different situation. I wasted an afternoon trying to figure out why nothing worked and another day getting an answer from tech support at the hoster. This post may save somebody time if they stumble upon it. The migration tool works great, but if you are in my situation you should move directly to turning your machine into the local host. (Note that once you do this, "localhost" is the server, "root" is the UID, and the password is the one you have established for MySQL.)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Migration Toolkit and DROP command
November 28, 2010 10:38PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.