MySql Migration Toolkit and oracle 10 (partly german)
Posted by: Uwe Geercken
Date: February 10, 2006 03:41AM

hello everybody,

it all started when I wanted to access an oracle db to analyse, if I could migrate it seemlessly to mysql. I asked for a login and the dba gave me one. but then I still had insufficient rights to access the db. then during our conversation the oracle dba of our service provider has made following statement:

== snip ==
Seit den Zeiten von Analyze-schema (wahrscheinlich Version 7 allenfalls 8.0) ist viel gegangen und gerade auch beim berechnen der Statistiken ist sehr viel in die DB-Engine eingebaut worden bei 10g. Es werden nicht alle Segmente gleich analysiert sondern je nach Bewegungen (updates). Manche Segmente (wo die DB weiss, dass es sehr viele Statements darüber gibt), wird extrem analysiert inclusive Verteilung über alle Columns mit where-bedingungen, andere werden nur sehr oberflächlich analysiert.

Es sieht so aus, als ob Ihr Tool mit der absoluten Holzhammermethode (analyze das ganze Schema und alles mit einer Sampling-Rate von 50%) die Statistken überschreiben will. Ich würde ziemlich viel Wetten, dass nachher nicht mehr alle Pläne gleich aussehen.
== snap ==

for those of you who don't speak german: it basically states that the tool uses functions that are deprecated and is modify the internals/statistics of the database with a sampling rate of 50%.

as I do not know enough about oracle. could I have some feedback on if that is true and if it is not good to run the migration toolkit on a production system for the purpose of reverse engeneering (no data migration). actually all I want to do is to see if it would be possible to migrate. that's all. once I know it is possible, I would make aa recommendation to our management.

thanks to all,

uwe geercken
uwe.geercken@swissport.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
MySql Migration Toolkit and oracle 10 (partly german)
February 10, 2006 03:41AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.