MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Re: File descriptors
Posted by: Chris Slominski
Date: June 04, 2009 09:07AM

In the past (no partitions) I used a table cache of 60,000 and open_files_limit of around 150,000. With an actual 30,000 tables, my cache was oversized. I have 16 GB of memory.

A select only addresses one partitioned data table; in general I am not worried about selects. My insert rates are so high, I need to keep open tables cached. Its a shame that I can't have just cached the 'current' partition for a table because that is where are the inserts are going. I don't care if an occasional select opens all partitions, but it would be nice if most of those opened partition files would subsequently be closed due to age during cache resource management. It still may not be an issue with my memory size and Linux flexibility.

Previous thread:
The problem with retaining the disk blocks was that I could not assume similar accumulation rates of data over time,and additional control system parameters are continually being added to what I archive. When I'm running out of disk space, I need to actually free up disk space so new parameters can continue to grow and to reallocate from some parameters that may no longer be accumulating any data.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
June 02, 2009 12:00PM
June 03, 2009 10:34PM
June 04, 2009 05:14AM
June 04, 2009 08:23AM
Re: File descriptors
June 04, 2009 09:07AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.