MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Partitioning

Partition on non key varchar column
Posted by: Jay Jarman
Date: September 11, 2009 07:52AM

I have a table with approx 5 million rows. One of the columns is fword which is the first word from another text column in the same table. The application I'm using does searches on the fword column. I have an index on this column but I thought in theory partitioning the table based on the alphabet on fword would speed my performance. For example, the application is looking for the word "foobar". If I had 27 partitions (1 for each letter and an extra for words that might start with a special character or a number) then in theory, it would search the partition that contains the "f" words. This column is not unique. There could be several rows with the value "foobar" for this column. Building a partition on the actual primary key doesn't make sense because it is just a number and the application doesn't search on this. I can't change the application and I can't change the column layout of the table.

Is it possible to create partitions based on a varchar column and where can I find the syntax on how to do such a thing?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Partition on non key varchar column
September 11, 2009 07:52AM
September 12, 2009 09:45AM
September 12, 2009 07:24PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.