MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

Mixing full-text and like... a good idea?
Posted by: Nicola RomanĂ²
Date: July 07, 2009 01:15AM

Hi everyone,

I'm currently developing a search engine for a science website.
I have implemented fulltext search and it's sweet, but our host limits the fulltext index to 4 letter words.
As our users are very likely to search for 3-letter words (lots of 3-letter acronyms in science...) I need some alternative solution.

We're on a shared hosting and we cannot change the fulltext limit, nor override the max and min variables... so I thought to use a mixed system: use FULLTEXT for normal searches and fall back to LIKE in the cases when 3-letter words are present.

Do you think this would be a good idea? And how to get search relevance in the LIKE case? I found this article: http://r937.com/keyword_relevance.html which doesn't seem to bad, but I'd like to hear your opinion before starting developing all of this.

So, would I be better to drop fulltext completely and do it all with like? Or is the mixed idea better? Or ... do you have any other alternative?

Thank you in advance
nico

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Mixing full-text and like... a good idea?
July 07, 2009 01:15AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.