MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

full text and word cutting
Posted by: piotr hael
Date: May 31, 2005 02:56AM

Hi,
first of all, excuse my poor engglish... but this is part of the problem, as you'll see...

So: I use fulltext search (match against...) which seemed to work very great... and actually it works...
the problem is that I'm french ( ;) ).
When creating words for the fulltext index, mysql takes all punctuation and spaces to cut words... except ' and _ which can sounds great in english, but not in my language, for instance:

"the tree" is "l'arbre" in french. The mysql engine doens't cut "l'arbre" into 2 words, so when I match against "arbre" it finds nothing, I have to match against "l'arbre", which very unnatural to a user (imagine in your language that when you look for "tree" you don't find a text with "the tree" in it ...)

So, after this short introduction my question is quite short too:
Is there a way to force mysql to consider the quote caracter when cutting the text into words for the fulltext index?

Thanks a lot by advance,
Pierre.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
full text and word cutting
May 31, 2005 02:56AM
June 11, 2005 12:39PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.