MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Full-Text Search

FTS for basic search of sentences?
Posted by: Ben S
Date: July 23, 2005 07:01PM

Hi,

I'm new to the Full-Text Search capability in MySQL, so I apologize if this is a very basic question. My group has a few million documents that we'd like to search. A typical search would be to ask for a list of all documents that contains a particular string, such as "the day was 24 hours in length" .

Would it be easy to create a MySQL table and insert all of the content of the millions of articles, and then query for string matches? I don't even need to know relevancy or partial matches. Would FTS be a good solution for this type of a requirement? An exact match of a string appearing within some documents is all that matters.

Please let me know if this is feasible. Also, would I need a very powerful computer/server for performing such a query? Are there any good articles/books that you'd recommend I read to learn more about the specifics of building such a basic search tool?

Thanks in advance.

-Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2005 07:02PM by Ben S.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
FTS for basic search of sentences?
July 23, 2005 07:01PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.