MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: XP MySQL DB on NTFS dual boot Ubuntu using same DB
Posted by: Cecil Carpenter
Date: December 19, 2008 05:10PM

All my table names are lower case.

Something else seems to be going on. MySQL documentation states that tables and logs are binary compatible between Linux and Windows. So, I copied my database files to my Ubuntu file system. In Ubuntu, MySQL Administrator only shows my ISAM tables. MySQL Query Browser shows the InnoDB tables, but says they are empty.

With that, I am wondering if I need to copy the ibdata1 file and ib_logfile0 and ib_logfile1 files as well.

I am going to try that to see if I can access existing InnoDB data of my XP system from my Ubuntu system after copying it. If I can, I am still at a loss as to why I cannot access those files when I am in Ubuntu. When I created a my.cnf with data path, InnoDB data path, and temp data path pointing to the files on the NTFS drive, MySQL would not initialize. Using the command 'sudo /etc/init.d/mysqld start' only results in a fail indication with no other information.

I also modified the apparmor configuration file to include the NTFS paths.

One thing is certain. It is much easier to set up and run MySQL in XP than it is in Ubuntu. So many things have to be done from a terminal session as super user, it is not funny. While there may be reasons for this situation, ease of use seems to have a good way to go to get Ubuntu close to XP. As one who would love to move away from Microsoft, I still find it difficult to justify when I can do anything I need in XP from a graphical application or front-end just by having administrative rights.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: XP MySQL DB on NTFS dual boot Ubuntu using same DB
December 19, 2008 05:10PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.