MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Cannot Connect After Install
Posted by: Michael Tarullo
Date: June 02, 2015 08:27PM

I had an older install of MySQL 5.6 that I had not used in a while. I tried to connect from MySQL Workbench using the root user ID and could not.

I completely uninstalled MySQL, removed any MySQL directories that were not removed by the uninstall (e.g. data), downloaded MySQL 5.6.25.0 and reinstalled. During the install, on the security config step I received the following error:

Beginning configuration step: Applying security settings
Attempting to update security settings.
Authentication to host 'localhost' for user 'root' using method 'mysql_native_password' failed with message: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)
Ended configuration step: Applying security settings

I finished the install and the Windows service was running. I tried to connect form MySQL Workbench again and was not able to connect.

I found some instructions about resetting the root password. I created a text file with the following:
SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('Geology')

Then I stopped the MySQL Windows service and started MySQL from the command line with the following:
mysqld --init-file=C:\\mysql-init.txt

The file in the command line contains the password reset command (shown above).

When I attempt to connect with MySQL Workbench after the command line start I have no problem, I'm not even prompted for the root password.

Can someone tell me what is going on?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Cannot Connect After Install
June 02, 2015 08:27PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.