MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: Non-Interactive, Unattended Install of MySQL 8 on CentOS
Posted by: Terje Røsten
Date: May 25, 2018 01:18AM

> Is it not possible to have one repo file for Fedora regardless of fc27 or fc28.

It might work, for now there is a repo file for each Fedora and EL release, which
in many ways is a good design.

> - Installation of mysql-server (from default repos) still installs mysql-community-server for 8. Is there not a mysql-server for 8?

When MySQL Yum Repos is enabled, commands:

$ yum install mysql-server
$ yum install mysql-community-server

will install MySQL 8, if don't want MySQL 8, disable MySQL Yum Repo by
remove repo file or editing /etc/yum.repos.d/mysql-community.repo

> Just a little confused with all these different files when all i am trying to do is install
MySQL 5.7 or 8. I understand I need to get different repo files depending on 5.7 or 8 but these could be all one file and perhaps even for CentOS and Fedora.

The setup should be simple, install repo/release package matching you distro from:
https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/repo/yum/

Then execute following command to install MySQL server:

$ yum install mysql-community-server

This will install MySQL 8, if you want MySQL 5.7 instead, edit /etc/yum.repos.d/mysql-community.repo before running this command.

> Finally I should be able run mysql_secure_installation to set necessary params such as root pwd et al. regardless of which version of MySQl (and on whichever OS)?

When using MySQL 8 or MySQL 5.7 there is no need to run mysql_secure_installation, install is secure by default any way.

Get initial password from log file /var/log/mysqld.log, login and set new password:

mysql> set password='MyNewPass12.'

All this is documented here:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-yum-repo-quick-guide/en/

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.