MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Optimizer & Parser

Want ORDER BY to use indexed portion of long text field
Posted by: Bob Fitterman
Date: October 13, 2007 07:03AM

I am trying to design a table that has (1) long text columns and (2) won't incur a filesort when using ORDER BY on one of those columns. Displays returned to the user only need to be sorted on the first 40 characters of the column, even if that is not unique.

Is there some syntax I can use in the ORDER BY clause that will let the server know it's okay to use the existing index to sort the data? I tried things like ORDER BY LEFT(txt, 40) and ORDER BY CAST(txt as CHAR(40)) but those don't avoid the filesort. I have tried this with both VARCHAR(10000) and TEXT types.

The only workaround I have come up with so far is to introduce a separate column that repeats the first 40 characters of the data in another column, but I think that is asking for a real easy way to corrupt the results when some programmer forgets to be sure that both fields are always updated simultaneously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2007 07:04AM by Bob Fitterman.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Want ORDER BY to use indexed portion of long text field
October 13, 2007 07:03AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.