MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Source, Builds, Binaries

mysql 32bit mysql client and 64 bit mysqld server on the same server
Posted by: Christine Ross
Date: November 17, 2014 11:39AM

I posted this on the perl forum by mistake I believe.

We currently have a very old 32 bit client and server mysql installation on Sparc Solaris, compiled from source. Additionally I have 32bit perl modules for connectors (DBD::Mysql, and other perl modules). GCC is also 32bit. I have to upgrade the mysql version and include 64 bit support. I do not want to recompile all supporting tools for 64 bit, (ie) perl, but I just want a 64 bit server.

I was told I could compile a 32bit client and again compile 64 bit mysqld (server) and just copy the mysqld server binary to the 32 bit installation. Then I could use all the 32bit connectors, perl and such without recompiling everything. I tried it and restarted mysql without issue, but I'm concerned that in production, mysqld might fail because it referenced a 32bit library.

I am not sure how to separate the 32bit client portion and the 64bit server portion. Typically I install into /usr/local/mysql and specify that as base-dir. Is it as simple and copying mysqld into the 32bit installation?

If I don't do that, I know I could specify the 64bit mysqld location in the startup script, but then do I use specify the 32bit for basedir?

Has anyone had experience separating the two installations and using both please? What was their experience?

Thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
mysql 32bit mysql client and 64 bit mysqld server on the same server
November 17, 2014 11:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.