normalization question: "customer" is either a company or an individual
Posted by: Felix Bachofner
Date: March 30, 2007 09:28PM

In previous databases (depending whether the database was developed for a Business to Business or B to Consumer oriented company) the customer "entity" was always either a company OR an individual.

Now I am tasked with creating a database where the end customer is EITHER an individual OR a company. [The business is like a wholesaler which ALSO sells to the public.]

Even though a purchase by a company is always instigated by an individual, I am VERY hesitant to link invoices to individuals as an individual MIGHT leave a company (to which this individual would also be linked) and as a consequence be deleted from the individuals table (or, worse, linked to a "new" company to which that individual moved).

It seems as though I should add an intermediate table "customers" which can represent EITHER companies or individuals. This customer entity then lives (at least for) the duration of a related invoice. I am, however, not at all convinced this intermediate table would "solve" the issue of an individual moving from one company to another . . .

Surely I am NOT the first person to deal with this. Is there a "best practice" data model for this situation?

Can someone provide a simplified data model or a link to a web page discussing this? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
normalization question: "customer" is either a company or an individual
March 30, 2007 09:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.