Is storing multimedia data in MySQL a good ideal?
Posted by: Ontwayne Hill
Date: September 09, 2007 05:00PM

Dear MySQL Developers

I am in the process of creating a web music application. I am debating if I should store music and video content in the MySQL database or if I should store the content on a file server and just create tables that reference the url's of the content on the file server. I'm not a database master so I don't know what the positives and negatives of storing content in a MySQL database. I see that MySQL offers a lot of different data types and it seems for what I want to do I would be looking at using TINYBLOB, BLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, LONGBLOB, but thats only if multimedia content is stored in binary format. Are those the right datatypes for me to use? Also with storing multimedia content in the MySQL database is there a certain type of table that I should use (MyISAM, InnoDB, HEAP, ect)? Any and all suggestions, experiences with storing content in a database, and just general knowledge on the subject are all welcome.

Thank You
Ontwayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2007 01:36AM by Ontwayne Hill.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Is storing multimedia data in MySQL a good ideal?
September 09, 2007 05:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.