Is INTEGER more efficient than MEDIUMINT?
Posted by: nikki ivie
Date: June 06, 2008 08:08AM

I have an on-going debate with a colleague over the use of numeric datatypes in my tables. He states that since my database runs on a 32bit processor that I should just have all of my number columns be typed as INTEGER. He says that it is more efficient than using TINYINTs, SMALLINTs and MEDIUMINTS, which I use frequently in my tables.

Several months ago I took the MySQL DBA course and the instructor said that it is the cumulative affect of all of the small fine-tunings that will help your database to run most efficiently. So my rebuttle to my colleague has always been that even a one byte savings in a record adds up when you have many thousands of records. (Several of the tables are approaching 500000 records).

I currently have no performance issues in the database, but I worry that perhaps he is correct. Feedback would be appreciated....

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Is INTEGER more efficient than MEDIUMINT?
June 06, 2008 08:08AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.