Hierarchical relationship?
Posted by: David Noriega
Date: September 27, 2013 09:33AM

I'm very new to database design so if I murder any terminology, sorry about that. I'm building a database model to store data generated by a commercial scientific application. I'll get a result file for every sample analyzed. I have a sample table for sample name, id, etc. I then break the data into smaller tables, one for each section of data, like identified compounds, unknown compounds, and so on. Even a couple of 'sub' sections, such as individual properties for each identified compound.

I then have a foreign key to link the 'sub' table to the one above it, and then up again to the sample table. But then I start thinking, what if I need to select data from a 'sub' table for only a few select samples? I'm thinking of adding foreign keys to every table so every entry can map back to a single sample.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this the right way of thinking about database design?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Hierarchical relationship?
September 27, 2013 09:33AM
September 27, 2013 11:14AM
September 27, 2013 11:22AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.