Derived Time Series
Posted by: Lena Bruckner
Date: November 14, 2018 02:22AM

Hi,

I saw MySQL offers a new ColumnStore engine. Currently, I'm working on replacing an existing time series database in our office. One feature of the existing DB that seems to be very unique and unfortunately, critical to us, is the possibility of creating derived time series.

Basically, I have data time series and derived time series. Data time series are just numbers i upload, whereas derived time series are mathematical formulas that use data time series to create a new derived time series.

In the current system, the user wouldn't notice whether the data stems from a data or derived time series. Both simply have an ID and that's it.

Is it possible to replicate derived time series in MySQL? The first thing that came to my mind were views, but I don't see how that would work.

The way I would have designed it is the following: One table with three columns (timeseries-id, timestamp, value) and a second table that contains meta information per timeseries (timeseries-id, infoA, infoB, etc.).

A view would give me a new table, but I don't need a new table.

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Derived Time Series
November 14, 2018 02:22AM
November 14, 2018 11:43AM
November 15, 2018 01:52AM
November 15, 2018 11:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.