MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Quality Assurance

XML storage engine based on VTD-XML
Posted by: Ueberbach JP
Date: December 12, 2011 04:35AM

Hello,

I am thinking about writing an mysql storage engine based on VTD-XML, which is a fast XML indexing technique. While i am brainstorming about this, i want to know if it is possible to custom define a where clause/definition within a storage engine cq extend sql language through storage engines.

In example; can i get the following query to work by only programming a storage engine and putting definitions in there:

SELECT CatalogDescriptionXMLType.query('
/ProductDescription/Summary
') as Result
FROM ProductModels
WHERE CatalogDescriptionXMLType.exist ('/ProductDescription/Features') = 1

CatalogDescriptionXMLType is a column of the custom datatype 'XMLType'.
Exist is a method of the class XMLType ( i need the field, method, together with its parameters, being pushed to the storage engine )

I did not do any research (yet) on mysql storage engine, so i thought lets ask.

So basically my question is; is it possible to customize sql language, using only storage engine code. If no, what are alternatives, udf combined with storage engine? What do i need to do to support a type 'XMLType', do i need to modify the mysql source itself ( something i have done in the past ).

When it is possible using only storage engine + opt. udf, i probably can make it happen in a fairly short notice.

I love mysqld but when it comes to indexing 10.000.000 XML records, it just does not shine without a lot of work.

Cheers

Admin mercuriusgids

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
XML storage engine based on VTD-XML
December 12, 2011 04:35AM
December 19, 2011 08:49PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.